Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cinnamon Donuts with a Raspberry Lemon Glaze

SO! The baking experiment is done. Done done done!


I was originally going to make these donuts a banana and cinnamon however, when I started I completely forgot about the banana, hehe. Regardless, I'm impressed. Excellent recipe that I found on Butterflyfood.  I may have tweaked a couple of things to make them what I wanted, but essentially that recipe is what inspired me.

Here's my version


Cinnamon donuts with a raspberry & lemon glaze

The Recipe:
Donuts
3 to 4 tablespoons      active dry yeast
2 ½ tablespoons         granulated sugar
1 cup                          water
1                                egg beaten
1/3 cup                       butter, melted
1 teaspoon                  vanilla extract
3 teaspoons                cinnamon
1 teaspoon                  nutmeg
½ teaspoon                 salt
3 to 5 cups                  flour

In a bowl mix together the yeast and and 1 cup water (warm!) – let it sit for approximately five or so minutes, or until you notice that it has a foamed up top layer.  Add the egg, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt..Mix! 
Now slowly start adding the flour, I say 3 to 5 cups because lets be honest, my “cup” may be different than yours…Even though I used a generic dry measuring cup, you may fill differently.  As you continue to do this, pay attention to whether or not it’s sticky.  Once you can touch the dough without getting physically attached to it, you’re done!
Now knead and roll out the dough to about ¼ to ½ an inch thick and cut out your donut shapes.  I used two different sized jars as I didn’t have the patience to actually cut lol.  Once you’ve done this, leave them for half an hour or so to rise. 
Fry in oil.  Your choice.  I used grape seed oil, however typically canola oil is used (from what I’ve read).  Turn them once, to ensure both sides have cooked and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.  Voila!  And there you have it.  Pretty simple, eh?

Now for the glaze….
1 cup              granulated sugar
¼ cup             confectioners sugar
¼ cup             water
1 teaspoon      vanilla extract
3 teaspoons     raspberry jam
3 teaspoons     fresh lemon juice

There are a few ways to make glazes.  Unfortunately for me, I ran out of confectioners sugar.  However, I made due with what I had.
First begin by boiling the water, add the sugar and lower heat to just below the half way point.  Mix well so that the sugar has dissolved.  Once this is done, add confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, raspberry jam and lemon juice.
Done.



I hope you enjoy :).  I know I definitely did.

-d.

No comments:

Post a Comment