Monday, January 23, 2012

A quick and easy brunch, lunch or dinner




I've realized lately that I don't cook much at home.  When I'm not studying, I'm usually out and about and always grab something to eat at a restaurant or something of the sort.  And when I am studying...well I usually just snack on almonds or popcorn, and tons of coffee.  I figured, I should start to change that nasty habit of mine.

While going through some recipes on a couple of websites -which I'll list at the end- I decided to make quiche.  I've never made quiche before.  After deciding that, I had no idea what would be the "best" recipe.  What I did know is that I wanted to combine a couple of ingredients.  So rather than following one specific recipe I kind of did my own thing :).

The Recipe:

12 tablespoons  bread crumbs
1 cup diced up honey ham
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup spinach leaves (or 6 or so leaves)
1/3 cup green pepper
4 large eggs, 2 egg whites
2 tablespoons chopped onion (you could use green onion too, if you so choose)
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°degrees
Spray bottom and sides of cupcake pan with olive oil and sprinkle each cup with one tablespoon bread crumbs (crust for the quiche!).  Gently shake so that it is evenly distributed.

Place ham, green peppers, spinach and cheese into each cup.  I made some with just ham, spinach and cheese and others with everything.  The cupcake pan is perfect!

In a medium bowl beat eggs and egg whites, continue by beating in the cream, milk, salt & pepper, dijon and onion.  You may choose to put the cheese into this mixture rather than in the individual cups, however I chose not to and it turned out fantastic.

Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are firm.

A great dinner with a side of salad!!  Healthy too:)  Well, somewhat.



No comments:

Post a Comment