Monday, January 23, 2012

"When life gives you lemons... just bake some lemon cupcakes."

After an incredibly stressful day of accounting homework (gosh is it ever tedious!) I decided to bake some cupcakes.
I've found that lately I am baking more and more. It's probably the best stress reliever yet, aside from going for 5km walks with my Australian shepherd-Mila.
I can be creative with what I bake, typically cupcakes. The best part is decorating them. Some days, depending on my free time, I go all out and other days...well, I stick to somewhat simplistic ideas. Regardless, the outcome is always delicious.
Today's cupcake was a rather basic vanilla cupcake, with grates of lemon zest to give it a little kick and just an easy to do vanilla icing. With more lemon zest sprinkled on top.


The Recipe:
1 1/2 cups all purpose four
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 fine sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest (one may add more - purely personal preference:))

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a cupcake pan with wrappers.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing just until blended. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour mixture and milk; mix thoroughly. Add the lemon zest and again mix thoroughly.

Fill each cup 2/3 full and bake for 18-24 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and frost as desired. Makes 12 cupcakes.


By far, the most delicious. That may be because I'm a huge lemon fan :).

-d.

No comments:

Post a Comment